©Barlow Genealogy 1998-2005


Dr. Samuel Bancroft Barlow, son of  Lt. Edmund Barlow of Granville Massachusetts


Contributed by John F. Barlow

History of Utah, by Orson F. Whitney   Volume 2   Chapter X 1819–1869

To many it would seem improbable that such a claim could be true. We give it, however, for what it is worth. It is also said that Dr. Samuel Bancroft Barlow, of Granville, Massachusetts, as early as 1833 or 1834, advocated the construction of a railroad from New York to the mouth of the Columbia River, by direct appropriations from the national treasury. This was but three or four years after the first application of steam to railroading in America. It is claimed, however, that Dr. Barlow's suggestion, which appeared in the Westfield (Mass.) Intelligencer, was called forth by a series of articles on the same subject published in the Emigrant of Washtenaw County, Michigan Territory. At Dubuque, Iowa, in 1836, John Plumbe, a Welshman by birth, and a civil engineer by profession, called the first public meeting to discuss the subject of a transcontinental railway. In the year following an article on the same topic appeared in the New York Courier and Enquirer, from the pen of Dr. Hartley Carver.

New York Times, February 29, 1876

BARLOW - At his residence in this City on the 28th. inst., Samuel Bancroft Barlow M.D., age 78 years.

The friends and relatives of the family are respectfully requested to attend the funeral at the South Reformed Church, Fifth av. and 21st st., on Thursday at 3:30 P.M.

Copy of Original

Harriett Cooley Barlow and Owen Tristram Coffin, daughter of Samuel Bancroft Barlow

The Twentieth Century Biographical Dictionary of Notable Americans:   Volume II page 299

COFFIN, Owen Tristram, lawyer, was born in Washington, Dutchess County, N.Y., July 17, 1815; son of Robert and Magdalena (Bentley) Coffin; grandson of Abishai and Sarah (Long) Coffin, and of Tabor and Elizabeth (Vanderburgh) Bentley; and a descendant in the sixth generation of Tristram Coffin who emigrated from [p.299] Devonshire, England, about the middle of the seventeenth century, and settled on Nantucket Island, of which he became owner of one tenth and was chief magistrate. Owen's preparatory education was acquired at a Friends' boarding school, at Sharon, Conn., academy, and at Kinderhook academy. He was graduated at Union college in 1837 and was admitted to the bar in 1840, practising at Carmel, N.Y., 1840-45; at Poughkeepsie, 1845-51; and at Peekskill from 1851. In 1857 he was made trustee of the Peekskill Military Academy and in 1859 was chosen president of the board of trustees. He was elected surrogate of Westchester County, N.Y., in 1870, and served from Jan. 01, 1871, to Jan. 1, 1895.

He was married, June 15, 1842, to Belinda Emott Maison, who died in 1856. His second wife was Harriet Cooley, daughter of Samuel Bancroft Barlow, M.D., of New York City. Their son Samuel Barlow Coffin, was graduated from Union college in 1885, was admitted to the bar in 1888, and practised in Hudson, N.Y. Union College conferred upon Surrogate Coffin the degree of LL. D. in 1889. Many of his opinions were published in Redfield's and Demarest's surrogate court reports.

Samuel Latham Mitchell Barlow I, son of Samuel Bancroft Barlow    

America's Successful Men of Affairs:   An Encyclopedia of Contemporaneous Biography   Volume I

SAMUEL LATHAM MITCHELL BARLOW, lawyer, a native of Granville, Massachusetts born June 05, 1826, died in Glen Cove, L. I., July 10, 1889. He was a son of Samuel Bancroft Barlow, physician, a graduate of Yale and president of the Homeopathic College in New York.

The young man went from public school at the age of sixteen to the law office of Willett & Greig, where he received one dollar a week. Seven years later he was admitted to the bar, and made manager of the firm at a salary of $3,000 a year. Quick, intelligent, and thoroughly versed in the law, he soon gained sufficient confidence to open his own office. During an active practice of forty years, he was identified with many important cases, being noted for his success and acquiring a fortune in his profession. At the age of twenty-three, he had charge of the settlement of claims arising under the treaty with Mexico, from which he received extraordinary fees. His ability to earn large fees was phenomenal. In one instance he received $25,000 for half an hour's work, which was willingly paid, owing to the magnitude of the interests involved and his great tact in effecting an amicable adjustment.

Samuel Latham Mitchell Barlow, I
Click to enlarge

The firm of Bowdoin, Larocque & Barlow was formed in 1852. After the death of the two senior partners in 1868 and 1870, Joseph Larocque, brother of the original member, William W. MacFarland and Mr. Barlow formed a new firm to which was added in 1873 Judge William D. Shipman, Judge William G. Choate in 1881 taking Mr. MacFarland's place.

A Democrat in politics, Mr. Barlow was for several years a large stockholder in The New York World, and shaped its policy from 1864 to 1869. He was one of the founders of the Manhattan Club and a member of the Union Club. He had a fine collection of paintings and engravings, and his library of early American history was one of the most extensive in existence.

Mr Barlow's wife, Alice Cornell, daughter of Peter Townsend, survived him, as did an only son. His son, PETER TOWNSEND BARLOW, lawyer, was born in New York city, June 21, 1857. He graduated from Harvard University in 1879, fitted himself for the law at the Law School of Columbia College and in the office of Shipman, Barlow, Larocque & Choate. He was married in 1886 to Virginia Louise, daughter of Edward Matthews. Their children are Edward M., and Samuel L.M. Barlow. A gentleman of education and fine mind, he has been elected to membership in many of the best clubs in town, including the University, Harvard, Union, Metropolitan, Players', Tuxedo, Racquet, Down Town and New York Yacht clubs.

Cosmopolitan Magazine - October 1888

The Millionaires of New York, Part II, by Paul R. Cleveland     (the photo shown above is from this article)

Samuel L. M. Barlow, one of the very rich lawyers of the city, was born at Granville, Mass., sixty one years ago, but was educated here, and has made this his home ever since. He is often spoken of as an Englishman, perhaps because he has many English friends and affects various English ways. He has a good mind, much diligence, great energy, and, early in his practice, was engaged in several very important railway cases, to which he has mainly confined himself. He married a Miss Townsend, who was rich; he himself has had enormouse fees, and has gained the name as did the late Samuel J. Tilden, of a railway wrecker -- the wrecker, according to popular opinion, taking most of the valuable assets of the corporation, and leaving the nominal assets to the stockholders.

Barlow is a lover of luxury. His home is the double brown-stone house, at Madison avenue and Forty-third street, and is filled with pictures, engravings, bric-a-brac, bronzes, books, and other fine things which men of culture, taste, and wealth enjoy. He has been a collector for years, and may be considered an epicure in various classes. He has a keen relish for delicate viands and choice wines, and his devotion to his table is shown in his ruddy complexion, and the size of his girth. He is very found of whist, and is regarded as an authority on the game. He blends business, pleasure and study gracefully, and is noted for his elegant dinner parties and other social recreations. The great wealth he has gained -- it is put at from six to eight million dollars -- he uses liberally and with refined discretion.

Copy of Original

Samuel Latham Mitchell Barlow is mentioned several time in Public, Local and Private Laws of Georgia 1831 - 1973

New York Times - July 11, 1889

Samuel Latham Mitchell Barlow, the widely known lawyer and member of the firm of Shipman, Barlow, Larocque, and Choate of 35 William street, died at 8 o'clock yesterday morning at his summer home in Glen Cove L.I., Mr. Barlow had not been in his usual health for several days, but both he and his friends attributed his slight indisposition to the weather. He was at his office on Monday and Tuesday. Tuesday afternoon, however, ex-Judge Shipman noticed that his associate was not appearing as well as he seemed the day before and advised him to go home and see a physician. Mr. Barlow followed his friend's counsel, and when he arrived in Glen Cove, Mrs. Barlow sent for Dr. Smith, the partner of Dr. Fordyce Barker. The physician at once determined that his patient was in danger, and was in constant attendance until he died. With him at the bedside of the dying man were Mrs. Barlow and his two granddaughters, children of Mrs. Stephen H. Olin. Peter T. Barlow, his only son, is now on his way to Europe. The cause of death was heart failure, induced by apoplexy.

Mr. Barlow possessed the reputation of being one of the most successful railway lawyers this country produced. He had a particularly large circle of friends among men holding official positions in this country, England, and France, and made the law firm of which he was a member the representative of a large number of valuable estates of which he had been chosen administrator. He was, until the death of his daughter, Mrs. Olin, several years ago, a prominent figure in the society of this city, and almost rivaled Sam Ward in his tastes as an epicure. His splendid house, at Twenty-third street and Madison-avenue, he stored with art treasures, and his library, richer than any other private collection in America, was gathered by him as a labor of love. He had a great fondness for dogs, too, and at successive shows at the Madison-Square Garden his dogs won prizes in several classes.

Mr. Barlow was born in Granville, Mass., June 5, 1826. He was named for his grandfather, who was an intimate friend of Brillat Bavarin when the famous Frenchman was giving lessons in this city. His father was a physician, Samuel Bancroft Barlow, who married a descendant of Capt. Joe Wadsworth of Charter Oak fame. There were several children by this marriage, S.L.M. Barlow being the eldest. It was intended that he too should be a physician, but the family was poor, and was unable to send him to college. His parents had removed to this city sometime before this, and at the age of fourteen years he entered the law office of Willett & Greigg at a salary of $1 a week. Mr. Barlow frequently told of his hardships at this time. He had served three months without receiving a cent, and he needed new boots. He ventured to ask Mr. Greig for his wages. "Wages, Sir," exclaimed the old Scotchman, "you don't receive wages here, Sir." "You are engaged at a salary of $52 per annum, payable semi-annually."

While office boy, he was sent with a message to Daniel Webster, who took a great fancy to the little chap and kept him with him all day telling him stories about himself. Mr. Barlow treasured this experience until his death. After an apprenticeship lasting seven years, Mr. Barlow was admitted to the bar, and upon the death of Mr. Greig began business for himself. Four years work brought him into considerable prominence, and in 1852 he founded the firm of Bowdoin, Laroque and Barlow in conjunction with Messrs. George R.J. Bowdoin, and Jeremiah Laroque. No sooner had this been done than he began to accumulate large sums of money. A trip to Europe in behalf of an Illinois railway in the year the firm was started brought him $50,000. Another in the interests of the Ohio and Mississippi brought him an equal sum. Nearly thirty years ago Vanderbilt and Aspinwall were fighting over the Nicaragua and Panama business. They would not speak to each other, so bitter was their rivalry. Mr. Barlow had no interest in the suit beyond being a holder of a few shares of Pacific Mail, but he considered the dispute of sufficient importance to warrant his interference. One day he invited the enemies in his house without either knowing of his rival's presence. After a few minutes of Mr. Barlow's exhortations the millionaires shook hands, signed an agreement, and each handed him a check for $5000. The next morning Panama and Pacific Mail stock went away up beyond ....(missing)

At the close of the Franco-Prussian war Mr. Barlow received $25,000 for half an hour's work. Commodore Garrison and some friends had a contract with Gambetta to supply arms to the French Government, involving $1,600,000. Before the contract was filled Gambetta had fallen and Thiera had gained power. The latter deemed the terms exorbitant and repdiated them. There was every prospect of great loss and successive lawsuits. The parties were about to have a receiver appointed and had the arms sold at auction, when Mr. Barlow appeared as representative of a gentleman who had $10,000 in the transaction. He heard all complaints, invited all the malcontents to dine at his house, and after dinner induced them to sign an agreement under which he sent an agent to Paris, where he remained for two months. On his return the goods were ordered shipped to Algiers, and the money was received in this city. Garrison was so delighted that he handed the shrewd lawyer $25,000 for his trouble.

The act for which he gained his widest fame was the lawsuit which expelled Jay Gould from the control of the Erie Railway after the death of James Fisk, Jr. The English and other ill-used stockholders of the railroad had long been lookinf for an opportunity to oust the manipulators into whose hands the property had fallen. Fisk had been a hard fighter and lavished the money he made in keeping the Erie in his power. He and Gould employed distinguished counsel and they kept the two imprgnably intrenched. An effort to end this was made when Fisk was shot. The Grand Opera House, which was used as headquarters for both railway and theater, was carried by storm. It was held against Gould as well as against the processes of the courts, for, when a writ of injunction was obtained by David Dudley Field from Judge Ingrahm and was served upon Mr. Barlow and his associates, they stamped upon it. This was contempt of court, but because of aroused public opinion, it was never punished. A suit was begun against Gould for $10,000,000. He retained able counsel to defend him, but after several weeks of consultation and negotiation he was advised to compormise, which he did, paying the big sum of $9,000,000 in full settlement. Mr. Barlow was elected one of the Directors of the road under the new management, and was retained as its private counsel at a salary of $25,000 a year. This was independent of the fees paid to his firm for its services as attorneys and counselors in court.

Mr. Barlow was a Democrat in politics, and was so during and before the war, when he was an apologist for slavery. He never held any political office. He was a large shareholder in the ill-fated Seawanhaka, on which he was in the habit of making daily trips to Glen Cove. He was aboard of her when she was destroyed by fire. When the Grand Jury considered the Seawanhaka case they brought in indictments against every one interested in her. Mr. Barlow among the rest. No further action, however, was taken.

Mr. Barlow was a member of the Manhattan and Union Clubs of long standing and was distinguised as honorary member of several political organizations, in none of which did he take an active part. He was also a stockholder in the Sun newspaper. Though Mr. Barlow's receipts from his profession were very large, he spent money in speculations very freely. The great diamond fraud of nearly a decade ago cost him, it is said, nearly half a million of dollars.

The firm of which he was a member when he made his first successes was changed in 1868 by the death of Jeremiah Larocque, who was succeeded by his son, Joseph. In 1870, Mr. Bowdoin died and in May, 1873, ex-Judge Shipman became a member , followed in June 1881, by ex-Judge William Choate, and later on by Solomon Hanford. It will be remembered that in September last James E. Bedell, the real estate clerk of the firm, swindled it and its clients out of more than a quarter of a million dollars by means of forged mortgages. The shock which this discovery gave Mr. Barlow he never recovered from. He was prostrated at the time and never thoroughly regained his health. Recent litigation concerning Bedell's operations have worried Mr. Barlow, and it is believed hastened his death.

Mr. Barlow leaves one son, Peter T. Barlow, who is married. His fortune is estimated at nearly $2,000,000.

Copy of Orginal

Peter Townsend Barlow, son of Samuel Latham Mitchell Barlow I

June 21, 1857 - May 09, 1921

Peter Townsend Barlow
Photograph by Charles L. Ritzmann Celebrities, New York

Ex-Police Magistrate, Long Ill,Was Returning Home from California When Stricken.

New York Times - May 10, 1921

Peter Townsend Barlow, for many years a Police Magistrate, and in other respects also a well known figure int he social and civic life of New York, died yesterday in St. Luke's Hospital, Chicago, following a long illness. He had spent the winter at Coronado Beach, California, and was on his way East with a trained nurse when his condition suddenly became critical as he neared Chicago and he was taken to the hospital there April 30.

He was born in this city in 1857, a son of the noted railroad attorney, Samuel L.M. Barlow, and a collateral descendant of Joel Barlow.*  He graduated from Harvard in 1879 and from the Columbia Law School in 1881, afterward entering his father's office. He married in 1886 Miss Virginia Louise Matthews.

Of recent years he had resigned from all his clubs except the Union and University. The only near relative is his son.

Judge Barlow was particularly interested in the problmes of the social evil in New York and for a long time presided over the Night Court. He had been President of the Florence Crittenton Home. During the trial of the Poillon sisters for "beating hotels' one of the defendants asserted that Magistrate Barlow had promised to pay all their hotel bills and had given them many presents. Nothing came of this statement. In 1910 he was charged with neglect in reducing the bail of three burglars who then fled. The Appellate Division dismissed the charges, but ruled that he had been negligent and had exceeded his authority.

Copy of original article

*Note: This is in error, Joel was from the John of Fairfield Connecticut Barlows, while Peter was from the Edmund of Malden Massachusetts Barlows. 
New York Times - May 11, 1921

BARLOW, Judge. Funeral Grace Church, Thursday at 3:30 o'clock.

BARLOW, Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New York. With deep regret announcement is made to the members of the society of the death on May 9 of their late associate, Hon. Peter Townsend Barlow.


Copy of Original

New York Times April 26, 1905


Mrs. Louisa Barlow, Had Been Ill for Two Months

Mrs. Louisa Barlow, wife of Police Magistrate, Peter T. Barlow, died at her home, 35 East Twenty-first Street, Monday night of heart disease, superinduced by grip. Mrs. Barlow had been ill for two months.

Mrs. Barlow, before her marriage eighteen years ago was Miss Louisa Mathews, daughter of Edward Mathews, a prominent merchant. The wedding took place in Paris.

The funeral will take place Thursday morning at 10:30 o'clock from Grace Church. The Rev. Dr. W.R. Huntington will read the service. Burial will be in Greenwood Cemetery.

Copy of original article

Samuel Latham Mitchell Barlow II, son of Peter Townsend Barlow

1892 - 1982

DETROIT TOWN HALL   Friday Morning Series Twentieth Season 1948-1949

Samuel L.M. Barlow       Composer World Traveler Drama and Art Critic

Versatility is the dominant note of Samuel L.M. Barlow's personality - a creative spirit whose genius expresses itself in many mediums and interests. Best known to the world as a composer -- the only American composer to have an opera in the permanent repertory of the Paris Opera Comique-- whose music for "Amphitryon 38" acted by the Lunts thrilled Broadway -- whose Jim Crowe Car was recorded by Paul Robeson and whose many symphonic compositions have been presented by Stokowski and Goossens and other conductors and orchestras of our day.

Samuel Latham Mitchell Barlow, II

As a fellow of the Carnegie Endowment, Samuel Barlow was sent by the Department of State and the office of the Coordinator to South America during 1943 for a survey of all the countries there. Mr. Barlow crossed the Andes six times and was in the Argentine when the revolution broke out. He has long been interested in Inter-American relations. He understands the geographic, cultural, political and econonic forces in each of the South American countries and the influence of those forces on Inter-American Relations. Last year he was visiting lecturer at Puerto Rico University.

Mr. Barlow is treasurer of the Iranian Institute and School of Asiatic Studies, treasurer of Near East Emergency Relief, Director of China Aid Council and is moderator of the Forum for Democracy broadcast from the New York Times Hall. He is an excellent speaker and a delightful platform personality. His unusual scope of interests and insight into world affairs bring a unique depth and dimension to his lectures.

At Eleven o'clock
January 21
'The Artist in Society'

Courtesy of the Special Collections Department, University of Iowa Libraries

Copy of original article with photo

Groves Dictionary of Music

Barlow, Samuel L(atham) M(itchell) (b New York 1 June 1892; d Wyndoor, PA, 19 Sept 1982) American composer. He was a pupil of Percy Goetschius and Franklin Robinson in New York, and of Philipp in Paris and Respighi in Rome (1923). His one-act opera Mon ami Pierrot, to a libretto by Sacha Guitry on the life of Lully and purporting to show the origin of the French children's son 'Au clair de la lune', was the first by an American to be performed at the Opera-Cominque in Paris (11 January 1935). He also wrote the operas Amanda (1936) and Eugenie, besides some novel orchestral pieces. His style was relatively conservative: he admited that 'tunes which wouldn't shcok Papa Brahms keep sticking their necks out'.

Samuel Latham Mitchell Barlow, II New York Times - September 21, 1982

Samuel L. M. Barlow, 90, Dies; Composer, Writer and Liberal

Samuel L. M. Barlow, a composer, writer and liberal activist of the 30's and 40's, died Sunday at the Springfield Retirement Residence in Wyndmoor, Pa. He was 90 years old.

Mr. Barlow's "Mon Ami Pierrot," a fantasy that purports to show the origin of the French children's song, "Au Claire de la Lune," was performed in January 1934 by the L'Opera Comique in Paris it was the first time the company staged an American's works,leading the French Government to award the composer the Legion of Honor.

After graduating from Harvard University in 1914 and serving as a lieutenant in World War II Mr. Barlow's houses at Gramercy Park and the south of France were centers for artists and the sites of concerts for liberal causes.

In "The Astonished Muse," published in 1961, he described his motivations.

"There has always been a close connection between art and politics, between creative mind and the created state. Every moment of history, including today, is but the sum of survivals and reawakenings. In both survival and reawakening, the artist has been the sustaining and provocative agent."

Mr. Barlow taught in settlement schools and lectured for the New York Board of Education as well as at universities in foreign countries. He also contributed frequently to Modern Music, a magazine published by the American League of Composers.

Most of Mr. Barlow's time, however was devoted to music. In addition to "Mon Ami Pierrot", he wrote another opera, a ballet, six orchestral works and more than a half-dozen pieces of chamber music.

His "Concerto for Magic Lantern and Symphony Orchestra," an adaption of "Babar, the Little Elephant" was performed in 1938 bu the Philadelphia Orchestra under the direction of Leopold Stokowski. Mr. Barlow also composed the incidental music for "Amphitryon", a 1938 Broadway musical starring Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne.

Surviving is his daughter, Audrey Orndorff.

Copy of Original

Home on Eze VOGUE MAGAZINE - February 15, 1927

The House of Samuel L. Barlow, Esq. at Eze, in the Alpes-Maritimes    by Rene´ Juta

EZE, or Eza, after a long sleep has awakened to the songs of Italian masons. Eze is a town on a narrow strip of land, lying along the Mediterranean between Italy and Provence and isolated for centuries by its difficult geography. With the mountains on one side and the sea on the other, it has been regarded by historians and antiquarians as unworthy and unproductive. But, recently, it has blossomed into new beauty.

The new Corniche road cut between the old sea road and the high mountain road, once the old Aurelian way, made this possible. Fot it is a road of easy access, with great beauty in its cypresses and gorse, its valerian and olive-trees and nightingales. And it leads to Eze, on a high butt of rock. Eze that was sleeping, like Brumhilda, waiting through the ages. Even the new road did not disturb the silent town for the pyre of rock overlooks the road and its sycophant cafe´s and cottages.

The history of the coast is marked on this ancient town, and it bears old scars and crumbling armour. Its three gates, splendid stone memorials of the fierce pirate, Barbarossa, and his pillaging ravagers are in ruins. Under the ruins lie Roman moneys, buried when Augustus built his white and golden Temple Monument at La Turbic higher up in the mountains.

Besieged and defensive, the Eze of olden times held little laughter in the narrow streets. There is, however, a story that two troubadours fresh from some gayer court, brought their wives to town, but sang continually of the beauty of the great Countess of Provence, living in one of the stone houses far under the castle. And, if the story were illustrated, we might see the two wives, hand in hand, long pennant-like veils fluttering from high hennins moving down the steep sides of the town and trailing girdles of chaste discontent into a convent, so bored were they with the troubadours and their hated loves.

Bits of the castle at Eze have stood through the centuries, and the town has clung to three sides of the hill in clusters and tiers of red and orange Roman tiles. Thirteen or fourteen hundred feet below, the Mediterranean stretches jade-green water all the miles across to Corsica.

And now, on this high promontory with all the Riviera from Nice to Toulon spread out before it, a new house has risen, as lordly and as massive as an old feudal castle. It is owned by Samuel L. Barlow, Esq., and it came to be throught the mere chance of a picnic party. For Mr. Barlow and his family stopped for a picnic one day at Eze on a shaded terrace hedged with Barbary fig. On the brow of a lower hill, they could see the monastic stone house of Mr. Louis Jacques Balsan and his wife who was Miss Consuelo Vanderbilt. A winding way led down the ravine to Mrs. Oliver H.P. Belmont's house on the water's edge. Farmhouses, cypress-trees, miles and miles of headland and islands, and a background of mountains all made the coast-line an amazingly beautiful view.

On another day, some time before, the poet, Nietzsche, had climbed up the hillside to this same terrace, under the old barren olive-tree near the "shrine" of a little headless virgin, and there had written the most beautiful chapters of "Zarathustra."


The Barlow picnic party decided to buy some of the old houses in the narrow street. From dark doorways, donkeys brayed warning, but the Mayor was found and a sale arranged.

Some Italian masons gathered, and a renaissance began. Water was pumped up into Eze. A house grew on the very edge of the promontory. Gardens were made to bloom with magnolias, lilies, and stock on the terraces.

Mr. Barlow's taste and energy have brought new beauty to Eze, and the old town has grown out of itself into a new self without too conscious a design on any jarring note.

In the house, one passes through a wrought-iron doorway at one end of the long stone-walled music-room into a dining room in which are frescoes painted by Jan Juta and forming a saga of Eze and its countryside. Following the habits of the old Italian cinque-cento craftsmen, he has worked legendary, fantastic views of Eze straight into mortar. Mr. Juta, who has a studio in Paris, but is now in New York, has spent a great deal of time on the Riviera and is familiar with Eze and its history, its legends and romance.

The revival of fresco in house decorations has assumed a definite place in modern interiors. With the constant improvement in architectural taste and harmony of exterior and interior, mural space looms as a neglected possibility for beauty. Throughout the large rooms at Eze, Mr. Juta has used the long expanses of wall and ceiling to striking advantage.

Photographs of Samuel L M. Barlow's House by Richard Cannes

Click on thumbnails to view full images

Mr. Barlow's house is set like an old feudal castle, high on the promontory above the Mediterranean. From the terrace, one may see the houses owned by the Duke of Connaught and Prince William of Sweden.

In Mr. Barlow's very interesting house at Eze, frescoes forming a saga of the town and countryside cover the walls. They are by Jan Juta, an English artist who has a studio in Paris and is now in New York, but has spent much time on the Riviera and is thoroughly familiar with its history and legends. The picturesque setting, the blue of the Mediterranean, and deep greens and browns of olive-trees, aloes, cypress and pine give these frescoes striking beauty.

The doorways play of role in the frescoes of the dining room at Eze, and one is painted to suggest a tiled Provencal doorway. The fireplace is copied from the famous Davanseti Palasso in Florence and decorated by Jan Juta.

In the music room at Eze, Mr. Barlow has shown great taste and achieved an effect of rich simplicity. The floor is tiled with multicoloured Moroccan tiles set in dull pale green opaque tiles. The ceiling, painted in harmony with the scheme of the rooms has great interest, as have the fifteenth century fireplace and the Mortlake tapestries.

This view of the frescoed dining-room of the Barlow house shows the wrought iron door leading from the music room and one of the beautiful stone windows through which, when the awning shade is raised, one may see all the beauty of the coast, from Nice to Toulan.

Mortlake tapestries add a rich softness to the walls of the music-room at Eze, brocades of dull claret and gold predominating. At the end of the room is a fifteenth-century fireplace with a curious design of dolphins.

The vine hung terrace looks straight across the jade-green sea to Corsica, while behind it rises the Alpes-Maritimes, and between the sea and mountains stretch all the miles of the shining Cote´ d´Asur.

The gorgeous setting of Eze, on the Moyenne Corniche road, is shown in the charcoal drawing by Jan Juta. The ancient townwall and gateways encircle the houses and castle ruins, and the hillside is covered with the deep green of olive-trees and cypress


Today, the Barlow house is known as LeChateau Barlow

Le Chateau Barlow    Chateau Barlow

Richard Baker enquired of the French about LeChateau Barlow, and got the following response:

This house belonged between the 12th and 15th Centuries to the noble family of Riquier. It was bought by the American musician Balakovic in 1923. Then it was passed to the Barlow family. Mr. Barlow gave receptions with Prince William of Sweden and the musician Balakovic. The presence of these personages at Eze enabled the village to be opened to tourism and the arts.
The house still exists in the village.

Mr. Barlow also had built the first and only fountain in the village in 1932. Since 1952 it is the only current of water for the inhabitants.

Arial View

Home on Eze


Music Room

Dining Room



Charcoal by Juta

New York Index

Massachusetts Index